As a professional interpreter or translator, you should seek proof of qualification in your respective field and specializations. Most prospective employers require certification (licensing) or skill validation to verify qualifications, especially in industries where interpretation/translation services are required by law (Civil Rights Act of 1964, Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA)). Federal law requires interpreters be “qualified.” For interpreter assessments that can be trusted to verify this standard learn about MasterWord Assessments and talk to one of our knowledgeable staff.

Each path to certification requires a degree of education/training to be accepted into the program. Interpreter and translator certification programs are comprised of a series of assessments designed to test your skills and knowledge. Depending on your language pair and specialization, there are several options to certification:

Legal Interpreter Certification

Health Care Interpreter Certification

Sign Language Interpeter Certification

For translators, the American Translators Association (ATA) offers a certification program that is recognized by most employers.