MasterWord Services, Inc., a leading provider of language support solutions, an ISO 9001:2008 certified company, recognized as a Houston Chronicle Top Workplace, is seeking full-time onsite Spanish-English technical translators with specialized in-depth know-how in the oil & gas engineering subject matter.
The following candidates are ideally suited for this position:
- Persons with a diploma, BA or MA in Spanish-English translation
- Holders of a diploma in technical Spanish-English translation
- Career changers with excellent specialized knowledge and fluent bi-lingual (Spanish-English) skills
This is a full time on site position. It works with a team of other full time translators to translate the technical documents from Spanish to English and vice versa, and meets the customer deadlines for delivery. The Technical Translator converts written material from source language into the target language, ensuring that the translated version conveys the meaning of the original clearly and accurately, and that the output text is technically, culturally and linguistically adapted to suit the target group.
The Technical Translator position reports to Project Coordinator for scheduling the internal work flow and assignments. This position cooperates with other translation team members and finalizes the translation projects for turn-key delivery. Translation projects include, but are not limited to, translating, proofreading and editing technical proposals, specifications, engineering reports, data sheets, technical user manuals, equipment and service procurement documentation, and other documentation related to procurement, construction and engineering activities of an oil & gas engineering project.
Suitable candidates will:
Have an excellent grasp of Spanish and English languages, both spoken and written, and feel confident concerning the typical communication patterns in both languages
- Be familiar with and understand the business culture and technical environment of the corresponding countries
- Have a good educational background, and profound specialized knowledge and the ability to communicate specialized texts in another language in a purposeful and target-group oriented manner
- Have methodical knowledge to facilitate handling problems typically encountered when translating technical, legal and business texts and, thus, possess in-depth know-how concerning the subject matter
- Demonstrate excellent team-work skills, be punctual and detail-oriented in meeting all required project deadlines and specific format and quality standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Typical daily activities include, without limitation, a combination of the following tasks:
o With in-depth knowledge of the English and Spanish languages in specialized subject matter, perform translation of written texts from source language into target language using:
o Translation Memory software – such as MemSource, DejaVu, SDL Trados, etc . – to ensure consistency of translation within documents and aid efficiency;
o project specific glossary, specialist dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words used;
o appropriate software for work, presentation and delivery.
- Translate a variety of material, particularly formal legal, technological and engineering documentation with attention to fact and nuance, so that the intent and tone of the original meaning is preserved.
- Edit, standardize, proofread, revise and finalize translated material prepared by other employees and/or contractors.
- Organize translated material and finalize translation according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Research legal, technical and scientific phraseology pertinent to the assigned projects.
- Consult with experts in specialist areas; retain and develop specialist knowledge on specialist areas of translation.
- Check translations of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions.
- Participate in compiling project glossary with terminology and information to be used in translations, including technical terms, proper names, and project specific phraseology.
- Follow various translation-quality standards – such as those of the Association of Translation Companies (ATC), EN 15038 and ASTM F2575-06 – to ensure legal and ethical obligations to the customer.
- Report to Project Coordinator regarding any potential and/or existing issues with translation quality, scheduling of translation projects and meeting customer and project deadlines.
- Cooperate with other team members in handling and resolving problems typically encountered when translating technical, legal and business texts.
Required Skills and Abilities:
A qualified candidate is required to obtain and present specialized information within strict accuracy and format requirements, and must possess the highly specialized knowledge of technical writing and translation. In order to duly perform the job duties described above, a qualified candidate must demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
Technical Knowledge – This position requires the individual to have an excellent background in technical translation and technical writing, especially in legal, business and engineering settings related to oil & gas industry.
- Writing – Communicating effectively with others in writing as indicated by the needs of the reader/audience.
- Information Gathering and Researching – Knowing how to find information and identifying essential information.
- Information Organization – Finding ways to structure or classify multiple pieces of information.
- Synthesis/Reorganization – Reorganizing information to get a better approach to problems or tasks.
- Active Learning – Working with new material or information to grasp its implications.
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge — Keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to the job
- Product Inspection – Inspecting and evaluating the quality of translation products.
- English and Spanish Languages – Knowledge of the structure and content of both languages including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, grammar, and history.
- Selective Attention — The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.
- PC user skills – Proficient knowledge and skills in using all major computer applications, such as MS Office, various Internet browsers, etc. Knowledge of AutoCAD software is strongly preferred.
Required Experience and Education:
To successfully perform the duties of the Technical Translator a candidate shall hold BA or MA Degree in Spanish-English translation or specialized degree in technical translation. Successful candidate may also be a career changer with specialized technical/engineering degree and profound knowledge of both written and spoken Spanish and English languages.
Previous experience (5+ years) in technical Spanish-English translation field is highly preferred.
All applicants MUST be eligible to work in the United States. No visa support is provided for this position.
Please apply at email@example.com with your current resume. Your subject line should read: Spanish FT Translator in Houston.